I have three lap-top computers. To most people, that is a bit excessive. Considering how non-computer literate I am, some might wonder how I became that person… well, it all started with a Toshiba, an LCD screen, a highly priced case of very low quality and a road trip. Somewhere along this road trip, my Toshiba met with tragedy. A single point of impact, a spiderweb of cracks, and only a third of a functioning screen later – I bought my Acer Mini-PC.
The Acer is a neat little computer, friendly – except with anything that involves audio – but generally gets a lot of compliments on its cuteness. The problem with the Acer: It is SMALL, which is good when I have it strapped to my back and I am riding my bike, but not so good when I have to read a textbook online.
Which brings me to my HP Pavilion 9000, which I bought – used – from someone who didn’t know its value. This wonderful computer, my dream lap-top in fact, came Microsoft Vista, which some may know has its problems. My Norton Ant–Virus subscription ended taking with it my ability to log onto the internet. While Windows 7 promises to solve my internet-woes, I cannot log on and download the severely discounted (and about all I can afford) Student Edition. Sadly, the Acer, in all of its cuteness, does not have a CD-ROM drive. Sigh.
I do have a point in telling you all of this sad tale. You see, with only one out of three PC’s functioning entirely – I have been shuffling files. I have a lot of files…. I very rarely delete something I have downloaded/ripped/written/critiqued/edited…etc. While surfing through curiosity of the past, the proverbial light bulb came on.
I am gleefully clapping my hands like little girl singing “I want to share, I want to share” but before I do so , I must bypass the detailed dissections of Plans B, C and D and just come out and tell you what they were. Afterall, that is where all of the files came from.
- (1998-2004ish) — Plan A (some may recall) was Politics by way of the Navy.
- (2004 – 2006) —- Plan B – removed me as far as possible from Plan A – The American Academy of Dramatic Arts in Hollywood, CA http://www.aada.org/home/home.html
- (2006-2008½) – Plan C – Brought me back to school in order to study ‘the sciences’ I had neglected in the past. Ironically, I had hit a creative wall when writing a science-fiction story – I didn’t understandthe ‘science’ in my story, but I knew it ‘sounded’ good – sorry, the ‘Because I said so…’ defense does not fly with the scifi.
The next leap does require a little explaining as there were several factors involved.
- The right side of my brain was feeling abandoned.
- Individuals with the misguided belief that ‘science’ was superior to ‘art’
- A general accepted belief that ability in one meant inability in the other
- Tutoring https://missfionna.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/when-does-it-start/
- ‘Science’ professionals at the VA Hospital insisting that the answer to all of my problems would be the addition of another medication
- (2008½- late 2009) –Plan D – alternated between two equally valid and interesting paths,
- The use of Acting Techniques in therapeutic use when treating PTSD
- A supplementary education program combining academic studies in a comprehensive, context based forum. (how’s that for a pitch-phrase???) Basically, a conversation that explains how everything fits together.
Luckily, both these areas could benefit from a single foundation. I began a degree in Psychology.
Which brings me to 2010 where I am venturing into Plan E, which consists of no real plan other than to just keep going with whatever comes along – and above all, FINISH SOMETHING.
Wow, after all that I sure hope my ‘sharing time’ is worth it…. I’ll let you be the judge of that.